Another Starlink Earth Station: IXAfrica Data Center In Nairobi, Kenya

The second Kenyan data center (IXAfrica Nairobi) I've visited with a large Starlink presence. IXAfrica is on Nairobi's outskirts on Mombasa Road and is pretty damn difficult to find as I and the taxi driver learned to our dismay. 😃 Starlink normally requires 20 degrees of line of sight in all directions for its earth stations. A condition clearly violated here. I suspect Starlink is using free space lasers to transmit traffic to satellites high enough in the sky to reach this limited-line-of-sight facility. From my point of view all this talk about Starlink building a parallel Internet infrastructure qualifies as nonsense. It is just another niche ISP using a different and bandwidth-limited Last Mile infrastructure to reach end users. No revolution. Just hype.

Photo of the Starlink Teleport at IX Africa Data Center In Nairobi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The British Empire's Resilient Subsea Telegraph Network

The Short Life Expectancy of Starlink's LEO Satellites

Update on META's Waterworth Project