What I Do - Telecommunications Procurement

I joined AT&T in 1992 and did statistical forecasting of industry aggregates like voice traffic measured in minutes of use. That experience informed my view that big companies are necessary evils - necessary in that network economies of scale are real, but evil in the sense that governance by consensus results in mediocrity. I eventually ended up doing Layer 1 capcity sales agency work for Tyco Submarine's own network which was eventually sold to Tata Communications. Under Eric Gutshall's tutelage I learned the fundamental of sales including 'quick and accurate quotes' and never losing on price unless the rate of return was too low. Later I worked for him at Hibernia Atlantic whose network is depicted below. Today these five cables are part of EXA Infrastructure and really their crown jewels. 

I am not a reseller. If you accept a network capacity proposal, your contract and service is with the underlying network operator who typically owns fibre or IRUs on fibre or in the case of a subsea cable consortium a share of lit capacity. I always take you to the source - wholesale fibre optic networks with Big Bandwidth and great pricing. My value-added is that I take everything into consideration such as latency, resiliency, the operator's network design, commercial flexibility, physical diversity, and provisioning. For international circuits I think in terms of subsea cables, not service providers. It is physical infrastructure that determines which carriers are the best fit. It is a physical asset approach which leads to superior results for both buyers and sellers. The buyers get a better deal and service. The sellers get a higher win rate on their price quotes and offers because the request fits their network strengths. The network operator pays me a commission just like they would pay their saleman. 


Map of the Subsea Hibernia Atlantic Cable System. Current owner is EXA Infrastructure

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burying Fibre Optic Subsea Cables In Shallow Waters: The How And Why

The Best Subsea Cable Across The English Channel: Scylla

How To Calculate An IRU Price For a 100G Wavelength